Sunday, June 21, 2015

Our House

Big changes have been happening with us lately. We switched states and bought a new house... that we had never seen before in person. We're just crazy awesome like that, well, maybe just the crazy part. Luckily, we love it! I think my favorite part is possibly the backyard. Natalie just ran around the house when we got here saying 'It's so gorgeous! I LOVE it!' 
 photo 2014 pages pt 2-090.jpg
The previous owners took great care of it and everything was so nice and clean when we moved in, but we just wouldn't be true Carters if we didn't already have some plans for this house(I blame HGTV). We have been living in 'someone else's house' for our whole marriage, so we were more than ready to make this house OURS! Starting with the little girls room. It was tan with a purple accent wall before, and the trim had been painted off white, and Natalie wanted pink (a girl after my own heart, I love pink too). 
 photo 2014 pages pt 2-091.jpg
We primed and painted, pulled out the old window sill and apron (and used this tutorial to trim out the window), pulled out the ceiling fan and installed a chandelier(this one, in case you wanted to know, and this ceiling medallion, I know I always like sources), sprayed closet doors white and hung crown molding. It took us longer than we thought, even though we had help in the form of Natalie bossing us around. We also had our first of the infamous Colorado hailstorms! I was priming the trim when I heard it start coming down hard. I ran down the stairs hollering for Matt to help me move stuff to get my car in the garage so it didn't get clobbered. Luckily, it wasn't that strong, but it was the biggest hail I've seen(in my limited hail experience). 

It's super hard to photograph windows, so please excuse my not-that-great pictures. The pink is hard to capture too, probably the closest picture is the bottom left of Matt putting up the medallion. 
 photo 2014 pages pt 2-093.jpg
And a couple after pictures! Our stuff just got here Thursday, so we're not quite moved in yet, but I'm excited to finish their room. I love having girls that like girly girl things like sparkly chandeliers, because I love them too, but I just don't think they are my style in general. It's perfect for their room, Natalie and Kate both went crazy over it. 
 photo 2014 pages pt 2-092.jpg
So, there you have it. And please, no one tell my dad that I sprayed my crown molding with a 50 dollar spray gun that hooks up to my air compressor(instead of a couple hundred dollar airless sprayer setup), or that we just mitered the corners instead of coping it(my dad had a conversation with Matt about that that probably rivaled the talk that started with 'sir, I want to marry your daughter' in seriousness). My dad is old school and hardcore, plus he knows what he's talking about. Ignoring him on the airless turned out okay, I love the little sprayer we got, but next time I think we'll try it his way with the hanging of the molding, ours turned out less than perfect. (here's a great tutorial for crown molding the professional way)

3 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

Wow kris, LOOKS AMAZING!!!! I love your cute little family and I love you!!!
All those years of playing house are paying off!!! _Jewls

Amber Goodman said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! You just amaze me. I want to see what you do next! Keep blogging.

Also, every time I pull out a jar of soy sauce or sweet relish from you guys I miss you a little more.

April said...

I love it. Everything looks perfect. A little girls dream room. Good job