Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sports Highlights by Kristal

Note: This is probably old news to most... but what can I say, I stink at blogging.

Shane Williams, a senior on the Red Devil Swim team cannot seem to catch a break with the photographers from The Daily Herald. Last year, he was inadvertently captured in what came to be one of the most popular 'prep sports' photo of the year. This image was published no less than three different times in the paper and was even featured on this blog. Shane is pictured on the left.
Although Williams preformed extremely well in the 4A State Championship meet, placing 1st in the 100 Freestyle and 2nd in the 50 Free, he still ended up looking as if he is about to collapse and die in his photo. His older sister, Kristal said to him 'you don't have to be photogenic when you're wicked fast.' And he is indeed, wicked fast.
The Springville boys placed second overall, winning them their fifth consecutive trophy.

An iconic figure for Jazz fans across the Nation, Jerry Sloan unexpectedly resigned from his position as head coach of the Utah Jazz, ending his career as the longest tenured coach of any of the four major sports. It was indeed a sad day when he called it quits after the Utah/Chicago game in Salt Lake last week. One obscure blogger, Kristal Carter, says this about Sloan:

"I almost cried when I heard that he was retiring... Jerry Sloan and the Jazz are like peanut butter and jelly, I just can't picture one without the other. At least I got to see one of his last games in Sacramento. Thanks for all the good memories Coach. I'll never forget my dad jumping up and down so high he almost hit his head on the ceiling when the Jazz won the game that sent them to the finals is 1998. And I always laughed real hard when you got kicked out of games for yelling at the refs. You will be missed."
Jerry Sloan has coached 1,903 games with the Jazz, 196 play-off games (2 1/2 seasons worth) and has taken his team to the playoffs 20 years out of the 23 he has coached.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Em and Russ said...

I really loved that you were able to find such a great quote from such an obscure blogger. It is always the obscure ones that are the crazy fans.

Olivia Carter said...

Thanks for keeping me up to date on sports. I'd have no idea :)