Thursday, September 10, 2015

Mini Porch Makeover

 My awesome mother-in-law was in town a few weeks ago and she is the ultimate DIY-er. We loved having her here, she gave us some awesome advice about the rest of our house, helped me wrangle all three babies through an Ikea shopping trip and she painted our front door. Isn't it pretty? I originally planned on something darker, but she in all her decorating wisdom talked me into this lighter, prettier blue. I LOVE it and can't wait to make some matching shutters!
 Here's a breakdown of what changed for those interested. It wasn't a huge makeover, but the little things we did helped so much!
Sun faded hollow core door-painted with Behr exterior paint (my MIL swears by it)
Outdated plastic doorbell-Replaced with this bad boy(but it appears to have tripled in priced, we only paid 8$)
Sconces: wiped down, disassembled and painted with Rust-Oleum Metallic spray paint (way cheaper at Home Depot, but they don't have it listed on their site, one can just barely covered 3 fixtures). We thought for sure these were goners, they looked so worn. April suggested I at least try to paint them before replacing them and I'm so happy we did! The finish is so smooth and pretty, I love them. 
Welcome Mat: a 10$ blank mat from Home Depot then spray painted using a stencil I made on my Silhouette. It's not perfect, but it's exactly what I wanted. 
Wreath: Saw it here and loved it, but mine turned out just 'meh' for me. I like the colors for fall, just not digging how huge all the cotton puffs are on mine, but oh well, it's what they had at Hobby Lobby :) so for now it stays. 

We also trimmed our gigantic bush, sprayed down all the bugs and webs(that helped a ton) and hung up our flag, because patriotism my friends, is always classy. Thank you April for all your help!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks so good! You are so handy! And I love the door color! And I want that welcome mat!!! When do you have me for Christmas again?!?!

April said...

I disnt really do anything ...you already had the ideas. I just enabled you to purchase !!! It looks great. Glad the scones turned out. Now your entire neighboorhood is going to copy you. Love it all.

Aunt Patty said...

It's soooo pretty! I love the blue door color! Wondering if it would go with my rust and brown brick! Been through 2 door colors and still not happy! What color is it? I may have to copy it!

Robin said...

So I just painted my shutters a similar color to your door. So fun! Did she hand brush it or spray it? I'm ready to paint my door and yours looks fabulous!!